18 January 2010

Glasnost


From Wikipedia: "While "glasnost" is associated with freedom of speech, the main goal of this policy was to make the country's management transparent and open to debate, thus circumventing the narrow circle of apparatchiks who previously exercised complete control of the economy."


Having just returned from the Tin Dunny after my first information collecting visit (post January 12th FoI decision), I am struck by the entirely different atmosphere that met me. Instead of naked suspicion I am treated like any other member of the public who has requested public documents. Instead of hostility and obstruction, I am treated like any other member of the public who has requested public documents.


If this is to be a measure of the way in which the new Town Council will seek to undertake its responsibilities then I believe that the community of Somerton can start to have some real confidence in this new administration. Yes, it is early days, but the signs are good, better than I had dared hope for.

Till next time, I'm Niall Connolly